Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Braided Rope Rug

I have to admit, this rope rug is more like a braided rope indoor/outdoor mat because it is heavy duty and would be a little pokey on bare feet. It just was a little simpler calling it a "Braided Rope Rug" rather than a "Braided Rope Indoor/Outdoor Floor Mat". Right? I suppose if you use a softer rope or fabric, you could totally make a rug! 
I started with 200 feet of 1/4 rope. Cut the rope into three equal lengths and braid them together into one long piece. Secure the ends with a rubber band or something to keep it from unraveling on you.


You will definitely want to work on a flat surface. I like to sit on the floor and work, although I know that's not for everyone I just like to have lots of room. Put a dab of hot glue on the end of the rope to keep it from unraveling and to hold it in place as you start. Begin to coil the rope a little, making sure the braid is flat. Use the twine to tie a knot on the underside of the rug to hold it in place. About every inch or so weave together two loops, trying to keep your "stitches" consistent. Pull the twine tight so the braid doesn't have any gaps, but not too tight that it buckles or doesn't lay flat.



Keep going, weaving the twine through the braid. If you run out of twine simply tie a knot on the underside of the rug and start with a new piece of twine.


When you reach the end of the braid, carefully hot glue the ends together and tuck it under the edge, trying to keep the rug as round as possible. Secure the end with the twine. 


That's it! So simple. 100 feet of 1/4 inch rope makes a small mat measuring 19 inches across. 200 feet of rope makes a 23 inch round matt. I decided to dye the finished rug a little darker so it wasn't so tan and new looking. It would also be fun to dye a bright color, but I wanted to keep it neutral.

Few more photos of the finished mat! (Ignore the crazy scratched up hardwood floors... they are a project for another day...)















4 comments:

  1. I like this too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your article. Please make more interesting topics like this on.
    I'll come back for more :) outdoor and indoor mats

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember this in my country south africa.thank you for the article.I really enjoyed the article on carpets and mats

    ReplyDelete